Kid's Morning Routine:
get dressed
make bed
eat breakfast
brush teeth
pet chores
pick up bedroom and straighten family room
kiss mom (yep, this is on their chore list and they love it as do I!)
read 1 chapter in Bible
empty dishwasher
Morning Walk (we take a morning walk before school starts)
School starts: (8am or 9am depending on the day)
Work Boxes (they work through these first independently)
Lunch Break
History/Science/Bible (we do these together on the sofa in the afternoon)
We are usually done with school by at least 1pm if not earlier thanks to the workbox system.
WANT TO KNOW MORE ABOUT THE WORKBOX SYSTEM?
A couple of things-
1. I haven't read the actual book on it.
2. I haven't been to a workshop to learn how to do it.
3. I've taken the premise and figured out a method that works for us.
If you want to know about the system from it's creator, go to her site here or read her book.
Here are links to several different ways people are implementing the workbox system. (thanks Jess for turning me on to this and for forwarding the links)
totes and a rack
drawers
file tubs
shoe box tubs and racks
magazine boxes
and a video on it from the creator
We are using the method that is the second one down (drawers) on the link list above. I bought 2 sets of sterilite 12x12 scrapbooking drawers for each child giving them each 6 drawers. We are doing a very compact version of this so I could see how we could easily use more drawers but for now this is sufficient. I liked this version because it's a compact way to do it and doesn't take up much space in our house.
Here's how it works for us:
The kids start school and go open drawer #1. I usually mix the drawer numbers up so that they aren't in order which keeps the whole thing interesting for them. They open the drawer and take out the task. It might be a post-it-note with instructions on it, like, "set your timer for 30 min. and play our computer math game." (My kids have a kitchen timer that they use for timing things like school work, a task, their shower!, their reading, their breaks etc. so that they don't go on endlessly.) Once that drawer is finished they put the number onto the top chart where it goes and move to the next drawer.
The drawers are filled with their school work often with a post-it-note stuck to it saying how many pages to complete. One drawer always holds a surprise snack. Sometimes there is a post-it-note that says "take a 15 min. break and play with your dog" or things like that. I plan on putting some other things in there too, like a cookie mix with a note that says "go bake some cookies!". Adding some surprises in the work boxes mixed in with their school work keeps them going. Sometimes I put an art craft in a box, or a special book to read or study. Sometimes there is a special project or science project in the drawer.
For organizational purposes, we use the top drawer for their school supplies. ie. their box of crayons, box of pencils, erasers, ruler, scissors, cursive chart, etc....
Why I love this system so far:
1. It holds me accountable to lay out their school work the night before.
2. It gives my kids self motivation.
3. It gives my kids an end in sight to their daily school work.
4. It gives my kids independence and responsibility over their work.
5. It keeps our school work organized and all in one place.
6. It gives my kids a sense of accomplishment at the end of the day when they see all their numbers stuck on the top chart.
7. It makes the school day more fun.
8. It frees me up to help them when they need it and to get other things done rather than constantly being asked what they are supposed to do next and me trying to figure it out at the moment.In about 10 min. before I go to bed I can have the workboxes ready to go for the next day.
Mom's Morning Routine:
(it varies greatly but I usually try to get these things done:)
shower
make bed
clean up my bedroom and bathroom
make breakfast
throw in a load of laundry
read Bible
check email
do breakfast dishes
walk with the kids
prep lunch and dinner
There's our workbox story and what our school day looks like this school year. I've probably left something super important out but oh well....that's what I've got off the top of my head. =0)






14 comments:
Thanks for sharing your system I got some great ideas when we start next week!
I think it's great! Maybe I'll try it thsi year. ♥ You're such a wonderful Mama... ☻
Hey Jen were did you get your boxs and how much were they? I decided to try it out... let me know...
Thanks
Robin
I'm so glad that you could put the workbox system to work for you! It's neat to see how the whole idea can be personalized in a way that suits each family.
I have a question that I don't think you mentioned in the post... when do you review/correct all of the work that they've done for the day?
Our friends will be leaving tomorrow and then Jake's mom will be here in a couple of weeks. I would like to get a good routine down after she leaves, and perhaps that routine will include some semblance of a workbox system!
Jess- I tend to still check in on them as they are working through the boxes and end up helping with some things (especially math) so I do most of my checking over at that point but I also quickly look over the days work that evening when I set up the boxes for the next day. If there is something they missed or need to correct I put it on the post it note for the to do the next day.
As far as review...I have already chosen curriculum that reviews itself daily so we don't spend a lot of time doing review.
Hope your week goes great!
WOW - I think this is fascinating!
You have always been very organized, but now you are SUPER organized! I can see where Jon and Emilee would love this.
Miss you - Grandma A
Robin-
I bought the drawers at Walmart and I think they were $18 for two. They are the 12x12 storage drawers that I think are intended for storing scrapbook paper. Hope this helps and hope you like it.
Jen
It seems like these workboxes are all the rage this year! I know quite a few people who are using them. If I get to homeschool one day(depending on John) I think I shall use them too! I would probably be like you and just do them my way too!
I love this idea! I may have to try it.
One question for you...what time do you all wake up to get so much done to be ready for school by 8 or 9? :-)
JR- I've been working at getting us up earlier or earlier, hence the starting school between 8-9am and not an exact time. =0) At the moment the kids set their alarms for 7am but they wake up sooner sometimes and I hope to get them moved up to 6:30am. I get up around 6:30am but sometimes as late as 6:50am. I'd like to get up at 6am though.
Having said that. The kids get their stuff done fairly quickly and start their school before I'm even done with my morning stuff. If only I had their energy! So they are well on their way through their boxes by the time I'm about halfway done with my morning routine list.
Also, our lists are not in any certain order. So, I may take the kids for a walk before I've gotten through half of my stuff.
My ultimate goal is to be done with my morning routine list and the kids well into their school work by 10am.
Hope this helps.
What an amazing idea! My kids are still pre-school aged, but this could even be useful in terms of keeping the day interesting and engaging even at their stage. Obviously it would be less structured and less focused on independent activities, but it could be helpful! Sometime on days when I am tired, it really helps if I had planned in advance the things that we were going to do that day. Thanks for sharing your method!
We just started using Work Boxes about two weeks ago, and my kids love it! Well, actually, I love it too!
(We are using the same types of drawers that you are, instead of the boxes she suggests.)
Great routine, I plan to implement work boxes with my youngest when he's old enough.
Looks like you do an incredible job! Go MOM! I love those sterlite containers!
Post a Comment