I was thinking about books today and so I updated our book lists.... on the sidebar under the bookshelf (books we are currently reading) are two links. One link is to books that we've read and really like a lot and the second link is a list of books that we would really love to read in the future. Books that we've read and not liked are not listed on the book lists nor on this post. Our sidebar bookshelf shows what we are currently reading (minus books that we are reading but do not like nor agree with.)
If I had to choose the most life altaring (spelled that way on purpose) books (other than the Bible of course) we've read over the years....here would be a few in no particular order:
Don't Waste Your Life by John Piper
Disciplines of a Godly Woman by Barbara Hughes
Disciplines of a Godly Man by Ken Hughes
Disciplines of a Godly Family by Ken and Barbara Hughes
The Exemplary Husband by Jim George
A Woman After God's Own Heart by Elizabeth George
Life Management for Busy Woman by Elizabeth George
Shepherding a Child's Heart by Tedd Tripp
Created to be His Help Meet by Debi Pearl
For Woman Only by Shaunti Feldhahn
For Men Only by Jeff Feldhahn
Feminine Appeal by Carolyn Mahaney
Leading Little Ones to God by Marian Schoolland
Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child by Marc Weissbluth
The Jesus Storybook Bible by Sally Lloyd-Jones
The Total Money Makeover by Dave Ramsey
Financial Peace Jr. by Dave Ramsey
Nourishing Traditions by Sally Fallon
Trusting God by Jerry Bridges
The First Years of Forever by Ed Wheat
Stepping Heavenward by Elizabeth Prentiss
Some good recent reads:
How Do You Know The Bible is From God by Kyle Butt
The Power of a Praying Wife by Stormie Omartion
The 5 Temptations of a CEO by Patrick Lencioni
Do Hard Things by Alex Harris
Respectable Sins by Jerry Bridges
Damsels in Distress by Martha Peace
Passionate Housewives Desperate for God by Chancey and McDonald
Kitchen Table Counseling by Cook and Volkhardt
Biblical Womanhood In The Home by Nancy Leigh DeMoss
The Backyard Homestead by Carleen Madigan
101 Foods That Could Save Your Life by David Grotto
Books to be read soon:
Age of Opportunity by Paul Tripp
Sacred Marriage: What if God Designed Marriage to Make us Holy More Than Happy by Gary Thomas
Sacred Influence: How God Uses Wives to Shape the Souls of Their Husbands by Gary L. Thomas
Eat Fat, Lose Fat: Lose weight and feel great with three delicious, science-based coconut diets by Mary Enig
The Most Effective Natural Cures On Earth by Jonny Bowden
I'm back
-
I'm back but I'm not here. Huh? I know, doesn't make much sense. I'm back
but I'm over here.
What's Cooking is now Real Food Healthy Living! Come see me ov...






5 comments:
As of last year, Fresh Wind, Fresh Fire by Jim Cymbala is on my "must-read" list...highly recommend it! Caroline
Great book lists! I like to see recommendations from others.
I'm curious about Damsels in Distress... can you give me a brief synopsis of her chapter on the role of women in the church? I might like to go through this one with a little book club that I am a part of.
Caroline, I put it on hold at the library! Thanks again for the recommendation!
Jessica, it's a wonderful chapter! She talks about the process of growth in our Spiritual lives and how our serving in the church grows as we grow. It has to start with basic knowledge and a foundation in salvation and grows from there. Some highlights of that are:
-be born again
-gain general knowledge of doctrine
-gain knowledge of Scripture applicable to the role of women
-live a consistent Christian life
-use spiritual gifts from God
-teach younger women
all with the end goal being that we may proclaim His excellencies.
Then she talks about the authority structure of church:
-God
-Christ
-Man
-Woman
*under the man's headship
*the glory of man
*created for the man's sake
Then she talks about the guidelines in Scripture that limit the woman's serving in the church:
-submit to and defer to graciously, the elders of the church
-not disrupt the church service with questions or contention
-not usurp the men's authority
-not teach men
-be content in the role God has given you
-be glad you do not have to bear the burdens the elders bear
In general she talks about spiritual gifts and how whatever they are that they have to fit under the guidelines of Scripture.
In true Martha Peace fashion, the whole book including that chapter is dipped in Scripture. Every page and every statement is supported by Scripture which I really appreciate.
I highly recommend the book. It touches on some topics not seen in other Christian books for women and I've used it in counseling women a few times. It's a great little book.
Thank you for the outline and review!
you're welcome friend. I hope you like the book.
Post a Comment